Sunday 22 May 2011

Come Fly with me ...


Today I am well and truly at home but the thought of travel is never far from my mind. I found a copy of one of these fabulous posters in a draw today and thought I would share them with you. They really are the perfect combination of two of my passions - art and travel. I know we have all heard, ad nauseum that air travel isn't what it was in the glory days but these posters really illustrate that.

The posters were made by David Klein for TWA - an airline that no longer exists. They were originally commisioned in the 1950's and perfectly capture the sense of optimism and excitement that surrounded air travel at this time.

I love their retro feel which reminds me of the jetsons in its almost space age imagery. Who wouldn't be tempted to book a ticket to a far away place after seeing these?


Well the posters are one thing but once on board the retro fun didn't end there as this amazing photo shows ...



Actually this 'Tiger lounge' which was developed for the new Boeing 747's was never put into production but it certainly highlights the different approach taken to air travel at the time.

Next time you're on a plane in your small seat watching a Jennifer Aniston movie on your ipod sized in seat screen, cast your mind back to the tiger lounge and imagine the fun that you could be having instead! Maybe its time to bring back at bit of retro design spirit to the airline industry!

No comments:

Post a Comment