Wednesday 24 July 2013

First Class Frown

I was just looking through Design Week when I saw a feature on the new Great Western Mainline and East coast mainline trains which are set to replace the Intercity 125. I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with the gloomy first class carriage design. The re-design has been taken on by DCA design International who have distinguished the first class cabin with 'wood veneers and a darker palette'.

Hitachi Super Express Train first class interior by DCA Design International

While I find the use of veneers a nice touch, the sombre greys fall flat for me, looking oppressive enough in this well lit visual; one can only imagine how gloomy this will look on a typical cloudy English day!

So I had a little go at this myself incorporating in some colours from the operators livery and tinted glass hat racks and some led colour lighting for the ceiling panel. I also added in some work/reading lights which I think is the least you would expect for a full first class fare. See what you think below.



It's still not exactly to my taste and I would have liked to start from scratch but I only had a few minutes to play around.

Ironically I think the standard cabin is much more successful looking light, comfortable and modern.

Hitachi Super Express Train standard class interior by DCA Design International

I suppose my ideas of what substitutes first class have been shaped by working for Virgin Atlantic who's Upper Class cabin is a show stopper. Here's how to do first class ;

02_Virgin-atlantic.jpg




No comments:

Post a Comment