Tuesday 4 October 2011

Video Games

Whooaaa, I'm back. Been on a vacation which was great but its back to reality and back to work. To keep you updated, all is going well with the Rook and Raven gallery and their website is up and running at http://www.rookandraven.co.uk/.



 I have a massive back log of posts to put up here thanks to trade shows and designweek but todays post is purely indulgent. I'm totally in love with the song 'Video Games' by Lana Del Rey - I've been listening to it on loop all morning. Its so great when a song gets under your skin like that and it doesn't happen very often anymore. When I was a teenager my life was governed by the songs that defined my every moment it seemed.



I saw Lana's video a few months ago when I was working in the office so I didn't have the sound on. Its definately not like your average pop video being made up of hand held footage and vintage clips and muddled together. The overall effect is a rather dreamy, very lazy days in L.A feel which I'm sure is what they were going for. It reminded me of Crazy/Beautiful which was a Kirtsen Dunst film and Tom Ford's Single Man for its use of overlapped saturated imagery. Check it out below.


Its my favourite song of the year so far and if you haven't heard it you must. The song is hauntingly beautiful, with heaving church bells and sweeping melodies that leave you with the impression you must have heard it before.



 Lana herself is an intruiging mix of California babe, Disney princess and ghetto girl. The whole package is the perfect product of several trends that seem to have had a popstar lovechild. This has led quite a lot of internet and press negativety about Ms Rey. Which seems slightly unfair considering she hasn't even released the track yet, but then people do love to spend their time destroying others so.



Either way, its a beautiful song/video/girl combo. So in homage I have put together a few of my own images that I think could be used to make a suitably 'Video Games' style impression.




Well I'm quiet impressed with those. I think they would make a great promo. Now I have to get on and do some actual work. Be back tomorrow. Ciao







No comments:

Post a Comment