Tuesday 9 August 2011

London's Burning!


I cannot believe what is happening in London at the moment. It's all a bit surreal seeing it on the news and realising that is the city I live in! Last night people started a fire in the next street but apart from that I haven't seen much of the action.

It's sad to see how many people will sink to these levels at the the very first opportunity, with no respect or regard for anyone else.

Well I don't want to dwell on the negative and with rubbish like this at home my mind starts planning an escape route.

If I could fly off today at the drop of a hat I'd love to go back to Berlin, which is my favourite place in the world at the moment. And If I was going to Berlin there would be only one place to stay - The Michel Berger Hotel.


We stayed here in February and I cannot recommend it highly enough. If you are going to Berlin do yourself a favour and stay here - and if you're not going to Berlin then why not?

This hotel confirmed my long held belief that great design isn't about huge quantities of money or expensive furniture and materials - but great ideas, a bit of imagination and very importantly a sense of fun.


The photos above show the reception/ lounge area and the cafe/ bar. I was in awe of these great spaces. There was always something going on here - day and night. I was particularly taken with the huge hanging lights made of old books - what a great idea! They really looked fantastic. The space worked perfectly with all the elements contributing to a great sense of character that is missing in many interiors these days. Here's some photo's I took of these rooms.


The amazing book shades - which I recently saw copied in Leon on Old Compton st in Soho, sorry to say that it really doesn't work so well on a smaller scale.


These lights above the bar had fringes made from shredded newspaper which, created a really atmospheric detail. This is definately one worth trying at home. 


The bar was topped with black metro tiles, which are now very affordable and made the perfect to a morning glass(?) of tea!


Below is me in one of the very comfy lounge chairs, contemplating whether to play the yellow bongos or not! lol

A perfect corner to read or for a drink with friends - or both!


The photo below shows the internal courtyard which we used to stand in absolutely freezing our bits off while smoking. The red string lights create an illusion of warmth, but believe me in February it is freezing!


One of the bed rooms - Each room has its own little quirks and features. But they all are  beautifully designed and have the lovely sunny yellow curtains which are a very cheery sight when you wake up after a night on Berlin's legendary club scene!


I loved this little dispenser in the lobby, which had been filled with trinkets and memento's of a trip to Berlin.


This was the room we satyed in - the band room. There were four of us and three slept up on the mezanine, and one downstairs. It was so fun sharing a room with people which I hadn't done for years.


I loved the room and at 120 Euros a night divided by four it was more than reasonable. We could have lived in there it was so well designed and layed out!


See you soon Michel Berger Hotel!

Next time I go to Berlin I want to take a huge van and go back to all the amazing flea markets we visited to buy furniture to upcycle. If any one has any suggestions of good places to get furniture and lights for upcycling please let me know.

Auf Weidersehen!

No comments:

Post a Comment