Wednesday 3 August 2011

A MYSTERY SOLVED

 I have on my phone a rather obscure list called 'things to do'. This list seemed an excellent idea - a place to jot down all the things I wanted to learn more about, or go and see etc that I stumbled upon while I was out and about with no pad, so my phone would have to do. This list has become a mystery in itself as the abreviated and unconnected phrases and names that make it up now mean nothing to me.

Today I decided to try and decipher what one of the more intruiging of terms on the list meant - Epic Mirtiotissa! Sounds pretty interesting, whatever an Epic Mirtiotissa is.

Well thanks to Google, the mystery has been solved. Here is Epic Mirtiotissa;


Its a huge (17 and a half feet long) painting by Paul Beel. The painting of a nudist beach in Corfu wone the BP travel award and is currently on display in the National Portrait Gallery. I remember now that I saw the painting in the Evening Standard when I was on the tube. I love the unusual composition and the colours.

Ironically, the National Portrait Gallery is on my list of things to do, so hopefully I will be seeing this in the flesh - so to speak, very soon.

Its so hot today that the beach (naked or not) is looking very attractive.

No comments:

Post a Comment